|ENGLISH EXAM SKILLS PROGRAMME
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the aim of the English Exam Skills Programme?
The aim of the SES English Exam Skills Programme is to provide students with direct support to equip them with the knowledge, skills, strategies and attitudes to cope with the demands of the English Language syllabus in school.
2. What is covered in the English Exam Skills Programme?
The components covered in a typical lesson are:
- Synthesis & Transformation
- Annotation Skills
3. How are these lessons at the DAS different from what is offered at tuition centres?
The programme provides an extension to what students have been taught in the MOE-Assisted Literacy Programme (MAP) and helps to put the skills learned into practical use in their examinations. In class, students will be exposed to various language knowledge and related strategies to equip their needs in learning the language. Skills covered in a lesson will be reinforced in subsequent lessons to ensure consolidation of learning.
4. How many students are there in a class?
There will be a maximum of four students in a class. This is to maximise learning for your child.
5. Can I enrol my child earlier into the programme although he is not in Primary 5?
Yes. We offer a Bridging Programme for Primary 4 Students who would like to have a head start into the programme. However, students will be placed into the programme in Term 4 (September – November) 2014.
6. What are the criteria for joining the programme?
- Students in Primary 3 and 4
- Both Standard and Foundation students in Primary 5 and 6
- Has a reasonable reading fluency (as obtained from Educational Therapist’s feedback
7. Does the English Exam Skills Programme offer one-to-one remediation?
The programme currently does not offer one-to-one remediation.
8. How often are classes conducted?
Classes are conducted once a week, 1 hour per lesson.
9. Where are lessons conducted?
Lessons are conducted at the following learning centres: Bishan, Parkway Parade, Sengkang, Tampines and Yishun Learning Centres.
10. What are the charges for the English Exam Skills Programme?
Lessons are charged on a term basis of $535 (10 lessons), inclusive of GST.